Summer storms drive Swiss insurers’ largest payout since 2005
Globally, economic losses caused by natural disasters have been rising for years. This summer was tough for Switzerland but many other countries also suffered extreme weather events.
Keystone / Anthony Anex
The violent storms that hit Switzerland this summer will cost the country’s insurance sector CHF2.2 billion ($2.4 billion), according to the Swiss Insurance Association (SIA). This represents the second largest payout since 2005.
Natural disasters came with particularly high price tag this summer. Switzerland endured hail, floods and storms between mid-June and July. The centre of the country was particularly badly hit.
But on Thursday the association said that preventive measures taken in recent years, particularly against flooding, had helped keep costs in check. Only 2005 proved more expensive for the sector and that was largely due to damages relating to flooding and high water in what Switzerland remembers as the “flood of the century”.
Since then, authorities have built facilities around rivers and lakes to drain or collect flood water.
Approximately half of the 2021 costs will be borne by the 19 cantonal insurance institutions (ECA), with the remainder covered by private companies, the association said.
Two-tier protection system
The association said the Swiss system of double coverage for damage caused by natural disasters was an advantage.
The ECA – which is indispensable in most cantons – covers damage to buildings caused by floods and storms. At the same time, private insurers offer solutions to protect personal effects and vehicles.
Worldwide, natural catastrophes cost the insurance industry $40 billion (CHF37 billion) in the first half of 2021, according to reinsurer Swiss Re.
External Content
Related Stories
Popular Stories
More
International Geneva
A Geneva-based global health foundation came close to ‘collapse’. Where were regulators?
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
This content was published on
Economic losses caused by natural and human-caused disasters have been on the upswing for years, a separate survey by German reinsurer Munich Re revealed. They caused global economic losses to the tune of $77 billion, with the insurance industry responsible for covering $42 billion. Swiss Re notes that this is the second-highest loss value ever recorded during the first six months of a year and is above the ten-year…
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.