Swiss public urged to keep pandemic in check to avoid lockdown
The Swiss authorities have to balance pandemic prevention measures with the rights of individuals and businesses.
Keystone / Laurent Gillieron
The rapid rise in coronavirus cases has put Switzerland in a precarious situation, said Swiss President Simonetta Sommaruga. But there are, for the time being, no concrete plans to tighten measures to control the pandemic, including restrictions like those in place earlier this year.
This content was published on
3 minutes
swissinfo.ch/mga
Español
es
Urgen autoridades suizas colaboración pública contra coronavirus
On Thursday, the number of new daily Covid-19 infections exceeded 2,000 for the second day in a row. The number of new infections reported on Wednesday was 2,823 – double the number recorded the previous day.
Sommaruga, who holds the rotating Swiss presidency this year, called on the population to redouble efforts to observe hygiene and social distancing measures.
“The number of infections is increasing sharply within a short period of time,” she said at a press conference on Thursday following discussions between the government and cantonal authorities. “It is once again shortly before 12 O’Clock. We call on the whole population to do their bit so we can keep the virus in check.”
Sommaruga’s remarks come as canton Zurich announced that teachers will be obliged to wear masks while teaching. In canton Nidwalden, some 400 people have been quarantined after an infected person visited two nightclubs. It has also been reported that 73 children accompanying adults at a scout camp were infected earlier this month.
On Thursday, Germany added eight Swiss cantons to the two already on its “risk area” listExternal link. People arriving in Germany from these cantons may be obliged to quarantine for 14 days depending on the German state they arrive at.
Balancing act with cantons
The federal government, cantons and business groups are working together to find ways to stem the second Covid-19 wave while balancing personal freedoms and potential damage to the economy. The representatives of the federal government and cantons were at pains to point out harmony in their joint efforts to contain the pandemic.
Lukas Engelberger, president of the Conference of Cantonal Health Directors, said the impact of the rising coronavirus cases on hospitals will not be known for a couple weeks. He warned that the compulsory wearing of face masks may have to be needed.
Health Minister Alain Berset will meet with cantonal health representatives on Friday to discuss possible further measures. “We still have the situation under control and our goal is to avoid a lockdown and overloading hospitals. We’re worried about this because it’s only the beginning of October.”
The government and cantons are also talking about stepping up testing across the country. Asked about the possibility of rapid, high volume new testing techniques, Berset said that these innovations are still being appraised before they can be released.
Urban Camenzind, Vice President of the Conference of Cantonal Economic Directors, said that some cantons had experienced a 10% drop in economic output after the partial lockdown in March closed shops, restaurants, construction sites and other businesses. He said that future closures should be avoided.
More
More
Swiss Politics
Coronavirus: the situation in Switzerland
This content was published on
An overview of the latest Covid-related information in the Alpine nation.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
Swiss daily Covid cases double to 2,823
This content was published on
The number of new daily coronavirus infections in Switzerland rose to 2,823 on Wednesday, double the figure reported on Tuesday.
Investigation opened into Covid-19 outbreak at nursing home
This content was published on
Three nursing home workers in Italian-speaking Switzerland are being questioned on charges of manslaughter following a deadly Covid-19 outbreak at the home.
This content was published on
We are all fed up with cancelled holidays, missing our families in other countries, and none of us, if we are honest, enjoys wearing a mask.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.