Compaq reassures Swiss customers

The merger between Compaq and Hewlett-Packard was announced on September 4 Keystone

Sales of the Compaq computer brand are widespread in Switzerland. However, the future of the United States-based computer company's products has been in doubt following news of its planned record-breaking merger with another US group, Hewlett Packard.

This content was published on September 29, 2001 minutes

Matheus Meyer, spokesman at Compaq in Switzerland told swissinfo they will continue to meet customers' needs.

"What ever our customers bought from us in either hardware or services they can be sure that we will fulfil all the contracts that we have signed," explained Meyer.

"There will be no reduction in the good service we supplied in the past and I can assure you that all types of hardware supplied will be supported in the future."

Biggest technology merger

Hewlett-Packard and Compaq Computer Corporation announced at the start of September a merger agreement to create an $87 billion (SFr139 billion) global technology group. The deal would be the biggest merger ever seen in the technology sector.

The companies said in joint release at the time that the new HP will offer the industry's most complete set of information technology products and services for both businesses and consumers.

"The combined company will have the number one worldwide revenue positions in servers, access devices (personal computers and hand-helds), and imaging and printing, as well as leading revenue positions in information technology services, storage, and management software," the companies continued to say in their joint statement.

Analysts have confirmed that the merged group would create a giant rivalling IBM in sales and could also take the number one position in the market for personal computers away from Dell.

With more than 1,000 employees in Switzerland in five locations, Compaq's spokesman Matheus Meyer explained that they were still not certain of what the merger means for the organisation here.

Long term impact unknown

"The merger has been announced only some weeks ago, so for the time being we are far away from knowing what impact the merger will have on the country organisation here in Switzerland," explained Meyer.

Compaq's Swiss business is 40 per cent centred on the personal computer market with the remaining 60 per cent dealing with the enterprise and service sector.

Concerns have been raised that the merger might mean the end of the Compaq brand. Certainly the name might disappear but the products created will be compatible for existing users.

"We are now talking about the 'New HP' and we will see if the name of Compaq will disappear or if the name of Compaq will be used for some of the product lines - that decision is still open," explained Meyer.

by Tom O'Brien

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at

Share this story

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?