Overall leader Aleksandr Vlasov tested positive the day after winning the fifth stage, the Russian rider’s team said. Bora-Hansgrohe team member Anton Palzer also tested positive on Friday morning.
The Alpecin-Fenix, Bahrain Victorious and UAE Team Emirates teams also withdrew from the sixth stage from Locarno to Moosalp on Friday, one day after the Jumbo-Visma squad left the eight-day race, which finishes Sunday.
Swiss rider Marc Hirschi of UAE Team Emirates also tested positive and is out of the race, while his roommate, Joel Suter, was withdrawn as a precaution, the team said.
“Unfortunately, like many other teams we have also had a surge in Covid-19 cases,” UAE team medical director Adrian Rotunno said.
The Israel Premier Tech and Education EF teams have also withdrawn several riders.
Tour de Suisse organisers have decided to continue the race despite the growing number of Covid-19 cases. The Swiss race is one of the last events to prepare for the three-week Tour de France, which starts in two weeks.
Surge in new sub-variant infections
European countries are experiencing a surge in Covid-19 cases driven by the BA.4 and BA.5 sub-variants of the highly infectious Omicron strain, threatening a fresh global wave of the disease.
Most European countries have so far detected low rates of the two subgroups. But in countries where the proportion has risen – such as Portugal – there have been surges in overall cases, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control said on June 13.
More
More
Swiss Politics
Coronavirus: the situation in Switzerland
This content was published on
An overview of the latest Covid-related information in the Alpine nation.
Switzerland announced the lifting of all remaining Covid-19 pandemic restrictions as of April 1. However, after three months of falling infections, new coronavirus infections have started rising again slightly, most likely due to two new Omicron subvariants, BA.4 and BA.5. A total of 16,610 new cases were reported on June 14 for the previous seven-day period. The seven-day daily average for new infections stood at 2,124, up 45% on the previous week.
BA.4 and BA.5 do not appear to carry a higher risk of severe disease than other forms of Omicron. But an increase in case numbers from higher transmission rates risks leading to an increase in hospitalisations and deaths, the ECDC said.
Related Stories
Popular Stories
More
International Geneva
A Geneva-based global health foundation came close to ‘collapse’. Where were regulators?
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
This content was published on
Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.
How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
This content was published on
Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.
This content was published on
The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.
Natural disasters: most Swiss back forced resettlement
This content was published on
The authorities should be allowed to order forced relocations if there is a medium-term risk of a natural event, according to 58% of participants in a survey.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.