A passenger in a mostly empty plane flying from Cambodia to Guangdong Province, China, on Saturday. The WHO has said there is no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade”
Keystone
Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS) and its parent company Lufthansa will ground planes to and from China for longer than originally planned owing to the coronavirus.
Lufthansa said in a statementExternal link on Monday that Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian Airlines flights would be suspended to and from Beijing and Shanghai until February 29 with immediate effect. Initially the flights had been suspended until February 9.
“Nanjing, Shenyang and Quingdao will not be served until the end of the winter timetable on March 28. Flight operations to/from Hong Kong will continue as planned,” it said.
On Monday China decried some countries for denying entry to people from Hubei province, at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, and cancelling of flights, as going against World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations not to take unnecessary or excessive measures.
In a speech to the WHO’s executive board, which opened a six-day session in Geneva, China’s delegate said the international community needed to treat the new virus outbreak objectively, fairly, and not “deliberately create panic” among the general public.
International isolation
China is facing increasing international isolation due to restrictions on flights to and from the country and bans on travellers from China.
There have been 17,238 confirmed infections in China including 361 deaths, as well as 151 confirmed cases in 23 countries and one death which was reported from the Philippines on Sunday, said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday.
Tedros said there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” in trying to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
“We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent,” Tedros told the WHO executive board, reiterating his message from last week when he declared an international emergency.
Hotline and emergency plan
By Monday evening, there have been no confirmed infections with the virus in Switzerland. A suspected case of coronavirus on board a flight to Zurich from New York turned out to be a regular case of seasonal flu, according to Zurich police.
The plane was temporarily put in quarantine in Zurich for a few hours before passengers were allowed to disembark.
Meanwhile, an information hotline set up by the health authorities last week appears to meet limited public interest.
Medgate, the private company operating the hotline in Switzerland, said it registered about 1,000 calls over the past four days. In comparison, the information service set up for the 2009 swine flu pandemic had about 3,000 in the first few days.
More
More
Demographics
Swiss citizens repatriated from Wuhan arrive in France
This content was published on
A plane carrying five Swiss nationals and three of their Chinese family members from Wuhan has arrived near Marseille in France.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
Coronavirus: how much panic should the world be in?
This content was published on
Coronavirus has been labelled a health emergency of “international scale” by the World Health Organization (WHO). How worried should we be?
This content was published on
When the coronavirus spread in China, one Swiss expat and his family were on holiday in Hong Kong. How did they get home to Wuhan?
Coronavirus expected to hit Swiss tourism industry
This content was published on
Officials say the coronavirus outbreak could lead to a 30-50% drop in the number of Chinese tourists to the Alpine country in the coming weeks.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.