Zurich enters Islamic insurance in Abu Dhabi

Swiss insurer Zurich Financial Services has signed a joint venture with an Abu Dhabi-based partner to offer Islamic insurance cover known as "takaful".

This content was published on November 3, 2008 - 10:04

Takaful is a form of cooperative insurance designed to provide insurance cover that conforms to Islamic Shariah rules and principles. The new Zurich Takaful Company is to be based in Dubai.

Zurich will control 51 per cent of the joint venture company, while the remaining 49 per cent will be held by the Abu Dhabi National Takaful Company.

It was formed five years ago as the first takaful operator in the United Arab Emirates.

Zurich notes that a distinctive feature of takaful is transparency concerning profits, its elements of profit sharing and strict selection criteria on acceptable investments.

It adds that in addition to the growing demand from Muslim customers, there is also a rising interest in takaful products from non-Muslim investors, who are looking out for ethical investments.

In compliance with the JTI standards

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

Sort by

Change your password

Do you really want to delete your profile?

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Almost finished... We need to confirm your email address. To complete the subscription process, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Discover our weekly must-reads for free!

Sign up to get our top stories straight into your mailbox.

The SBC Privacy Policy provides additional information on how your data is processed.