The Swiss voice in the world since 1935

No clues in search for missing twins

The missing twin sisters are six years old Keystone

Police continued their search on Monday for six-year-old twin sisters from Switzerland who have been missing for over a week.

Police in canton Vaud said on Monday that possible sightings had not produced any clues to the girls’ whereabouts since January 30, when they were abducted by their father. He committed suicide on Thursday night.


























Around 40 officers from the Vaud force were taking part in the joint search with French and Italian police. A helicopter was being used to search above Lake Geneva and service stations had been checked between Geneva and Saint Sulpice near Lausanne, where the girls’ mother lives and where they were last seen.

Border posts in Geneva have been checked, boats inspected in two ports and door-to-door inquires were being carried out.  

Italian police were also searching in the region of Cerignola, where the twins’ 43-year-old Canadian-born father was killed by a train.

Police said a reported sighting of the girls in Marseille had not yielded any results.

The girls had been visiting their father for the weekend. But he failed to take them to school on Monday as planned. The mother of the twins is a 44-year-old Italian who has been living in Switzerland for three years.

Popular Stories

Most Discussed

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR