Navigation

Skiplink Navigation

Main Features

Zurich kidnap boy released

An eight-year old Zurich boy, who was kidnapped in broad daylight on Monday, has been released unharmed by his captors. Zurich police said that Kuvet Salahi would be returned immediately to his parents.

No details have been disclosed as to the precise circumstances of the boy's release, but the police statement said that a number of suspects had been arrested both in Switzerland and abroad during the investigation.

Kuvet's father is a wealthy Macedonian businessman who has been living in Switzerland for some twenty years. The Albanian-speaking kidnappers issued him with a ransom demand for 1.2 million Swiss francs.

On Thursday the kidnappers allowed the parents to speak with their son on the telephone. During the phone call, Kuvet's father said that he was prepared to pay the ransom. It's not yet clear whether a handover took place, but after Kuvet's release the police confirmed that the money was now in the hands of the authorities.

swissinfo with agencies

×