Gruyère may be renowned for its cheese, but its double cream is also highly prized. It was presented in all its variations at the region's first festival dedicated to the dairy product.This content was published on October 29, 2016 - 11:00
- Deutsch Greyerz feiert seinen Doppelrahm
- Español Cuando Gruyère festeja su famosa doble crema
- Português Quando a região do Gruyère festeja o seu famoso creme de leite
- 中文 格吕耶尔高脂奶油美食节
- Français Quand Gruyères célèbre sa crème double (original)
- عربي عندما تحتفل "غرويير" بقشدتها الدسمة!
- Pусский «Двойные сливки»: идеальный десерт из Швейцарии
- 日本語 グリュイエール地方特産ダブルクリームのお祭り
- Italiano Quando Gruyère festeggia la sua doppia panna
Rain didn’t deter the many foreign and local tourists who gathered at the event in the town of Gruyères. Equipped with umbrellas, they patiently waited in long queues in front of each stand to sample the sweet and savoury versions of double cream. On offer: the equivalent of 300 metres (984 feet) worth of meringues, 40 litres of double cream, 1,000 strawberries and 1,000 raspberries.
Double cream is a local flagship product, and contains at least 45% fat. It is in fact the fat from milk that artisan dairies remove before making their cheese. They say it is best tasted locally, as it is a very delicate product that needs to be eaten quickly and kept cold.
Ten sweet and savoury dishes were prepared with the ingredient for the festival, ranging from mushroom casserole to cream tart, and were served against the backdrop of the Gruyères chateau. Organisers had wanted to compete to make the world’s largest meringue, but the weather didn’t cooperate.
(Images: Ester Unterfinger, swissinfo.ch, sound and text: Islah Bakhat, swissinfo.ch)
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org