Swiss join criticism of Saudi Arabia at UN rights council
A woman drives her car in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on June 24, 2018, just minutes after the world's last remaining ban on women driving was lifted. According to a UN investigator, prominent women's rights activists were arrested in Saudi Arabia that year as it lifted the driving ban; they were rounded up as part of a broader crackdown on dissent that extended to clerics and intellectuals.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Switzerland has signed a statement with dozens of Western countries raising serious concerns about human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia. Switzerland has changed its stance: last year it withheld its signature for similar international condemnations of the Gulf kingdom at the United Nations Human Rights Council.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Keystone-SDA/AFP/sb
العربية
ar
سويسرا تنضم إلى إعلان يحث السعودية على “إطلاق سراح جميع المعتقلين السياسيين”
Denmark’s ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, Morten Jespersen, on Tuesday read out a joint statement on behalf of 29 countries – including Switzerland, Australia, Britain and Canada – at the UN Human Rights Council expressing their deep concern about repeated human rights violations in the Gulf state: torture, arbitrary detention and enforced disappearance.
They urged the kingdom to “release all political detainees” and voiced concern at the detention of “at least five women activists”. Prominent women’s rights activists were arrested in Saudi Arabia in 2018 as it lifted a ban on women driving cars, a step that many of the detainees had long campaigned for. Several of the arrested women say they have suffered torture and sexual assault in detention, accusations which Saudi officials reject.
The statement in Geneva also returned to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist killed and dismembered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018.
“We reiterate our call for transparency and holding all those responsible accountable,” it said.
A Saudi court this month jailed eight people for between seven and 20 years for the murder of the journalist in 2018 at its consulate in Istanbul, Turkey. The trial drew criticism from a UN investigator and from human rights campaigners who said the masterminds of the murder remained free.
The more active Swiss position on Saudi Arabia represents a change. Last year it withheld its signature for international condemnation of the Gulf kingdom at the Geneva-based council. Switzerland was widely denounced, particularly by NGOs, for refusing to join similar initiatives launched in March and September.
More
More
Swiss Politics
EU states criticise Saudi abuses, Switzerland stays silent
This content was published on
Some 36 countries have signed a statement in Geneva criticizing the human rights situation in Saudi Arabia, in a rare international condemnation.
Swiss-EU treaties: signatures handed in for Kompass initiative
This content was published on
The committee behind the Compass Initiative submitted the signatures it had collected to the Federal Chancellery on Friday.
This content was published on
Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.
This content was published on
The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.
Figurine heads in Zurich school not considered discriminatory
This content was published on
The 16 carved figurine heads in the auditorium of the Hirschengraben school building in Zurich are not discriminatory, according to an independent expert report.
Swiss political parties report income of CHF22.4 million for 2024
This content was published on
Ten parties reported income totalling CHF22.4 million for 2024, less than in the 2023 election year. The reports are based on the regulations for transparency in political financing.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
Pilatus no longer under investigation over Saudi Arabia activities
This content was published on
The attorney general decided to drop criminal proceedings triggered by a government claim that the company had failed to report services provided in Saudi Arabia. The German-language newspaper NZZ am Sonntag broke the news. The decision, which was taken on November 18, is legally binding, according to news agency Keystone-SDA. Switzerland’s foreign affairs ministry had filed criminal…
EU states criticise Saudi abuses, Switzerland stays silent
This content was published on
Some 36 countries have signed a statement in Geneva criticizing the human rights situation in Saudi Arabia, in a rare international condemnation.
Switzerland ‘deeply concerned’ about new Khashoggi details
This content was published on
The foreign ministry plans to once again summon the Saudi chargé d’affaires in Bern following new information about the slain journalist.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.