Seven Swiss nationals depart Gaza Strip for Egypt
Seven Swiss nationals have left the Gaza Strip for Egypt as of Thursday afternoon. Six of them are dual nationals, Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis announced on X (formerly Twitter). He expressed relief.
At the Rafah border crossing, staff members of the Swiss embassy in Cairo met the seven citizens, the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs told the Keystone-SDA news agency. The embassy staff looked after them as part of their role providing consular protection.
As far as the foreign ministry is aware, there is still one Palestinian with Swiss citizenship in the Gaza Strip who is waiting to leave. Four dual nationals have decided to stay temporarily.
According to the Egyptian Red Crescent Society, 400 foreigners and Palestinians with dual citizenship left Rafah on Thursday and another 200 people with foreign passports were scheduled to leave the same day.
In addition to Swiss nationals, the majority of those who had already left on Thursday were Americans. There were also people from Italy, Greece, the Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Croatia, Mexico, South Korea and other countries.
+ Switzerland backs UN resolution calling for ceasefire in Middle East
In the transit area, they completed formalities for entry into Egypt, said Raed Abdel Nasser, Secretary General of the Egyptian Red Crescent in North Sinai. The Palestinian border authority had asked them to wait at the border crossing.
Exits only since Wednesday
In the embattled Gaza Strip, some 7,000 foreign nationals are waiting to leave, according to Egyptian figures. For the first time on Wednesday, hundreds of foreigners and Palestinians with a second passport were able to leave the area sealed off by Israel. Injured Palestinians were also brought to Egyptian hospitals.
Israel has been attacking targets in the Gaza Strip after the devastating Hamas terror attack on October 7 and has sealed off the densely populated coastal strip. The United Nations says the humanitarian crisis is worsening in Gaza. About 1.4 million people have been displaced by the fighting inside the Gaza Strip.
This news story has been written and carefully fact-checked by an external editorial team. At SWI swissinfo.ch we select the most relevant news for an international audience and use automatic translation tools such as DeepL to translate it into English. Providing you with automatically translated news gives us the time to write more in-depth articles. You can find them here.
If you want to know more about how we work, have a look here, and if you have feedback on this news story please write to english@swissinfo.ch.
In compliance with the JTI standards
More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.