Swiss "will be cautious" over arms exports
Economics Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann says that any new applications for weapons exports to Arab countries will be very carefully checked.
In comments to the Berner Zeitung newspaper published on Saturday, the minister said that despite the unrest spreading across North Africa – and some criticism of Swiss policy – there were no plans to tighten controls on arm exports any further.
According to recent figures issued by the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (Seco), Swiss firms exported millions of francs of arms to Arab countries last year.
The minister said he could understand why there was criticism about arms exports. But he said that requests had always been very carefully checked. “I don’t think we need to have a bad conscience,” he said.
In addition, the cabinet’s stance is supported by the electorate, which in 2009 voted against banning the export of weapons and other war materials, added the minister.
On the question of whether the cabinet should reconsider its policy, Schneider-Ammann said there were currently no applications from Arab countries. “Should any applications for exports to Arab countries come in, these will be reviewed by the cabinet with even greater caution,” he said.
The minister also ruled out tightening controls on arms and munitions exports, saying this had been done three years ago with a ban on exports to countries where human rights are systematically and seriously violated.
In compliance with the JTI standards
More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative
Contributions under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at email@example.com.