The rich diversity which distinguishes Swiss landscape as well as Swiss culture, is also reflected by the country's colourful folklore.This content was published on March 18, 2008 - 13:34
There are a number of instruments which, though not in all cases unique to Swiss folk music, are nevertheless associated most readily with Switzerland. The alphorn, the hackbrett (a kind of dulcimer), and the Langnauer- and Schwyzerörgeli (two rustic Swiss types of simple button-key accordions). Most folk musicians in Switzerland are still non-professionals. This largely accounts for the spontaneous quality that has always been one of the major attractions of genuine Swiss folk music.
1. Friederich Müller: Alphorn Solo
2. Druosberg Boys Schwyzerörgeli-Duo: Abe mit em Bödeli - On With the Dance, Ländler
3. Emmental Folk Musicians: Tanzsundig uf der Lüdere - Sunday Dance On The Lüdern Alp, Mazurka
4. Albin Lehman, Glarus zither: Hoch lebe die Glarner Zither - Long Live The Glarus Zither
5. Drummers and fifers of the Basel Lälli-Clique: Arabi
6. Wyssen Band: Jetzt git's Toby - Toby's Waltz, Waltz
7. Original Appenzell String Band: Polka II
8. Riva San Vitale Mandolin Duo: Potpourri di Canzoni Ticinesi - Ticino medley
9. Jost Ribary Band: Oeppis Urchigs - Something Genuine, Ländler
(J. Ribary sen.)
10. Aebi Family Band: Liecht und munter - Light and Lively, Schottisch
Musica Helvetica MH 8. Swiss Folk Music. Traditional Instruments. Produced 1972/1981 for SBC / SRI by Lance Tschannen.
Switzerland is a small alpine nation shaped and influenced by great cultural cross-currents that have swept through Europe over centuries. Out of elements of diversity, the people of this country have forged a distinctly Swiss identity. And music is one of its most eloquent expressions. "Musica Helvetica" explores different facets of music in Switzerland from its earliest beginnings to the latest works of modern Swiss composers, from folk music to rock and jazz. This historical series span the years 1972 to 1998. These recordings are not available.
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: email@example.com
In compliance with the JTI standards