Polanski files a new appeal for bail
The Swiss Criminal Court in Bellinzona says film director Roman Polanski has filed a new bail appeal to be released from prison.
Confirmation of Polanski’s request came on Tuesday, a day after the filmmaker’s French lawyer said the filing included “adequate guarantees”, including cash, that he would not flee justice if released.
A court official declined to comment further.
Polanski is appealing against a decision last week by the Swiss justice ministry to reject bail because of his flight risk, since he spent over 30 years as a fugitive from United States justice.
Polanski was arrested on September 26 as he arrived in Zurich to be honoured at the city’s film festival. He is wanted in the US for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977 in Los Angeles.
Polanski, who has a holiday home in the Swiss resort of Gstaad, fled the US before sentencing.
A court in California is to discuss the Polanski case on December 10.
swissinfo.ch and agencies
In compliance with the JTI standards