Navigation

Miss Switzerland loses attraction

The finals of the Miss Switzerland competition are to be dropped from public service television, the three main language channels announced on Friday.

This content was published on September 30, 2011 - 14:24
swissinfo.ch and agencies

The decision was motivated by falling audience figures.

“The competition is past its highpoint, and there is no obvious need to continue broadcasting it,” said a statement from the German-language service.

It explained that only just over a quarter of Saturday evening’s television audience in the German-speaking area had tuned in to watch this year’s contest won by 20-year-old Alina Buchschacher.

The French-speaking channel said audience figures for Miss Switzerland had been dropping at the rate of about 20 per cent a year. Only 92,000 people had watched its transmission on Saturday, against 115,000 in 2010.

The channels announced in May that they would no longer carry the Mr Switzerland contest, for the same reason. The private channel 3+ has taken over the broadcasting of that event, with the signature of a three year contract with the Mr Switzerland organisation.

This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: community-feedback@swissinfo.ch

Comments under this article have been turned off. You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here. Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

Share this story

Join the conversation!

With a SWI account, you have the opportunity to contribute on our website.

You can Login or register here.