The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Swiss ambassador to Kyiv leaves Ukraine

Long queue of cars
More than 800,000 people have fled Ukraine since the attacks of the Russian army started last week. Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

Switzerland has evacuated its remaining diplomatic staff in the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv.

The foreign ministry said the move was necessary because of the deteriorating security situation.

The ambassador and four other diplomatic staff had left Ukraine with the support of a team of special forces from the Swiss army.

The ministry on Wednesday confirmed reports by several Swiss newspapers and online sites.

The embassy was closed on Monday. It had operated with reduced personnel and resources over the past week.

The foreign ministryExternal link has advised all Swiss citizens to leave Ukraine if possible. Swiss nationals who need assistance are told to contact the foreign ministry helpline by e-mail or telephone.

There were 268 registered Swiss nationals and family members in Ukraine until last Thursday.

However, it is not clear how many of them have already fled the country in the meantime.

More
External Content

Most Read
Swiss Abroad

Most Discussed

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR