The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Coronavirus expected to hit Swiss tourism industry

Passengers at Beijing airport on January 16, 2020
Passengers at Beijing airport on January 26, 2020. Keystone / Wu Hong

Swiss officials say the coronavirus outbreak could result in a 30-50% reduction in the number of Chinese tourists visiting the Alpine country in the coming weeks. 

The coronavirus outbreak that began in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, in the province of Hubei, has killed 106 people in China so far. Among measures to contain the virus, China is halting all group holiday tours, affecting tourism both at home and to other countries, from January 27. 

Winter is not peak season for Chinese visitors coming to Switzerland but tourism officials nonetheless expect the virus outbreak to have an impact. 

“In the coming weeks, Switzerland Tourism expects a 30-50% reduction in the number of Chinese visitors to Switzerland,” spokesperson Véronique Kanel told Keystone-SDA on Monday. Based on 2018 figures, this could represent 70,000-100,000 overnight stays per month. 

Chinese visitors are among the biggest spenders when holidaying in Switzerland: paying out on average CHF380 per person per day. 

As group tours are mainly affected by the freeze on reservations and travel, popular Swiss destinations such as Geneva, Zermatt, Interlaken, Lucerne and Zurich will feel the effects, Kanel said. 

Mixed reactions

Reactions were mixed among other tourism officials. Michael Maeder, director general of Switzerland Travel Centre, said the busy Chinese holiday period in Switzerland only really starts in April, so the recent freeze on group tours had not been felt. Chinese groups represent 3-4% of their annual turnover and two groups had already cancelled for this week, he said. 

“Depending on the length of the ban, it may have an influence on our business, as clients may make other plans when the ban is lifted,” he said. 

Nicolas Meylan, director general of Mövenpick Hotel and Casino Genève, also felt it was too early to weigh up any impact. Chinese visitors represent 5-6% of the Swiss hotel group’s clients. 

Meanwhile, Swiss International Airlines (SWISS) said it had registered an increased number of cancellations due to the virus outbreak, without giving any details. 

According to Switzerland’s Federal Statistical Office, over two-thirds of the 1.73 million overnight hotel stays recorded in 2018 by visitors from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, were made during the May-October period.

More

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR