The Swiss voice in the world since 1935
Top stories
Stay in touch with Switzerland

Carnival in Ticino, Engadin ski marathon among cancelled events

View inside the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie, SIHH,
Watches & Wonders Geneva is the former Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) that takes place every year in the Swiss city. Keystone / Salvatore Di Nolfi

Authorities have announced that all events for the Carnival celebration in Ticino scheduled to start on Thursday have been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak. This follows other major event cancellations in several big cities.

The Engadin Ski Marathon scheduled to take place on March 8 in Graubunden, has also been cancelled after two coronavirus cases were confirmed in the canton.  Some 14,000 athletes take part in Switzerland’s largest mass sporting event. 

Meanwhile in Ticino, where the first case in Switzerland was found, two major ice hockey tournaments will be played without spectators. 

On Thursday, organisers of the first Watches & Wonders Geneva – the former Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) – also announced they were cancelling their annual watch fair due to take place from April 25-29, amid fears over the new coronavirus outbreak. 

The organisers said in a statementExternal link published on Thursday that they had cancelled the upcoming event in the Swiss city “to protect the health and wellbeing of all our guests, press, partners and teams”. 

“In view of the latest developments concerning the worldwide spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, it is the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie’s duty, as organizer of Watches & Wonders Geneva, to anticipate the potential risks that travels and important international gatherings could entail,” it said. 

Watches & Wonders Geneva brings together some 30 watch brands, including those of the multinational Richemont as well as other independent watchmakers. 

This is the latest Swiss watch event to be cancelled after the Swatch Group called off its “Time to Move” watch fair in Zurich, due to take place from February 28 to March 2, because of coronavirus fears. There is no news about whether the upcoming Baselworld watch fair will take place (April 30 to May 6). 

More

On February 17, the Geneva International Exhibition of Inventions, which was due to take place at the end of March, announced that it had been postponed by six months due to the coronavirus outbreak. 

On Wednesday, the Geneva International Motor Show, which attracts around 500,000 people every year, issued a statement saying it would be going ahead as scheduled from March 5-15. This followed an evaluation of the situation with the cantonal health authorities, it said in a statement. However, there are reports that carmakers are reducing staff
attending Geneva’s car show next week.

Travel restrictions and fears over the spread of the virus have already caused postponement or cancellation of other trade fairs, including the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Frankfurt’s Light + Building fair and the Beijing Auto Show.

The new coronavirus has infected about 80,000 people worldwide and killed more than 2,700, the vast majority in China.  The Swiss authorities confirmed three new coronavirus cases on Thursday – including one in Geneva – taking the total to four across the country.

More

Popular Stories

News

Death of Esther Grether, owner of the Doetsch Grether Group

More

Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies

This content was published on Esther Grether has died aged 89. Considered one of Switzerland’s leading entrepreneurs, the owner of the Basel-based Doetsch Grether Group was also a major shareholder in the Swatch Group and an art collector.

Read more: Swiss billionaire Esther Grether dies
Flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation ceremoniously received in Mollis GL

More

Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins

This content was published on The flag of the Swiss Wrestling Federation has been received at the start of the Swiss Wrestling and Alpine Festival in Mollis, canton Glarus.

Read more: Three-day Swiss wrestling festival begins
Fifa loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

More

FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner

This content was published on Former FIFA officials Joseph Blatter and Markus Kattner do not have to pay back their own bonuses or the bonus totalling CHF 23 million paid to another FIFA official to FIFA. This was decided by the Zurich Labour Court.

Read more: FIFA loses multi-million lawsuit against Blatter and Kattner
How cancer makes healthy cells work for itself

More

How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them

This content was published on Cancer cells manipulate neighbouring cells for their own purposes: a research team at ETH Zurich has discovered that they can reprogram neighbouring cells in such a way that they help the tumour to grow.

Read more: How cancer cells makes healthy cells work for them
Bathing ban for non-residents in Pruntrut JU is extended

More

Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

This content was published on The ban on non-residents entering the swimming pool in Porrentruy, canton Jura, expires on Sunday and would be extended until the end of the season, the mayor said.

Read more: Swiss pool to extend ban for non-residents

In compliance with the JTI standards

More: SWI swissinfo.ch certified by the Journalism Trust Initiative

You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!

If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR

SWI swissinfo.ch - a branch of Swiss Broadcasting Corporation SRG SSR